Saturday, June 18, 2011

I Got Sunshine



"I got sunshine, on a cloudy day..." The song had been in my head all day. Its the first week of summer and instead of being sunny it's been raining for days straight... So to make myself happy I decided to bake some bright colored cupcakes to bring myself sunshine on this dreadfully cloudy day.
I made my own icing with this batch:
The Buttercream Frosting was delicious! I didn't have a mixer however and so it took me a very long to get it mixed properly. And the more you mix it, the better it tastes. The shortening thats in it takes awhile to get mixed in so when it finally does it will taste awesome. 

With these cupcakes my main experiment was using candy melts. The candy melts were an experience. I burnt both of my candy melt tubes in the microwave because my microwave is so strong, so FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS carefully. I had to learn the hard way. 
I drew out a sketch of a flower and put wax paper over the paper, using the melting tubes I melted the candy melts and made pink candy flowers. Its a pretty simple idea if you have a sketch to follow along with. 
A good tip to know is to have a toothpick readily available to fill in the flowers because if not you will end up with air holes on the other side of the flower. As you can see i ended up with those air holes in my flowers. You will have to keep reheating the candy tubes over and over again, they harden quickly. 
Using some bright yellow food dye I made yellow icing, and viola I have some bright sunny cupcakes. 






No comments:

Post a Comment